Dr. Chien-Wen Liew: Profile
Chien-Wen Liew completed his Orthopaedic Advanced Training in Adelaide and then continued his training in UK, Europe and the USA. He specialises in muscle sparing approaches to the hip and knee, shoulder pathology, as well as sports injury of the hip, knee and shoulder.
Dr Liew was recently made an Official Instructor in the Direct Anterior Approach for Total Hip Replacement Surgery. He is world recognised as an expert in the Direct Anterior Approach for Total Hip Replacement and Patient Specific Technology for Total Knee Replacements. In Adelaide, his operating theatre at Burnside Hospital has been recognised as an official training centre for surgeons wishing to adopt these techniques. Dr Liew has already trained over 25 new surgeons throughout Adelaide and Australia and has travelled to the USA and Asia to train surgeons further.
Dr. Chien-Wen Liew’s particular interest is in muscle sparing total hip replacements, where he completed a fellowship in Paris, France and has trained in this technique with world renowned surgeons in France, Switzerland, UK, USA and Australia. This approach is truly minimally invasive, requiring no cut to any muscle. For total knee replacement surgery, Dr Liew is involved in a collaboration with Peak Orthopaedics in Colorado in improving the outcomes from patient specific technology and advanced alignment of the knee.
Dr. Liew is a member of the Australian Defence Force, being an Infantry Corps Platoon Commander for 10 years at 10/27 RSAR, and recently transferred to Medical Corps. He has a keen interest in fitness and sports.
- University of Adelaide
- Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery, University of Adelaide (2004)
- Fellowship Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (2013)
- Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency
- Environmental Protection Agency – Fluoroscan Qualified
- Minimally Invasive Total Hip Replacement Surgery (Direct Anterior approach & Patient Specific Technology)
- Patient Matched Technology for Total Knee Replacement Surgery (Kinematic Alignment and Disposable instruments)
- Australian Medical Association
- TEGO Australia
- Royal Australian College of Surgeons
- AO Trauma Membership
- Club Des Amis
- Visiting Medical Specialist Royal Adelaide Hospital
- Orthopaedics 360 – Norwood
- Calvary Adelaide
- St Andrews Hospital