Dr. Chien-Wen Liew: Profile
Chien-Wen Liew completed his Orthopaedic Advanced Training in Adelaide and then continued his training in UK, Europe and the USA. He specialises in muscle sparing approaches to the hip and knee, shoulder pathology, as well as sports injury and trauma.
Dr Liew was recently made an Official Instructor in the Direct Anterior Approach for Total Hip Replacement Surgery. He has already participated in providing educational sessions to surgeons within Australia. This new role will allow him to train surgeons in the Anterior Approach throughout the world.
Dr. Chien-Wen Liew’s particular interest is in muscle sparing total hip replacements, where he completed a fellowship in Paris, France and has trained in this technique with world renowned surgeons in France, Switzerland, UK, USA and Australia. This approach is truly minimally invasive, requiring no cut to any muscle.
Dr. Liew is a member of the Australian Defence Force, being an Infantry Corps Platoon Commander for 10 years at 10/27 RSAR, and recently transferred to Medical Corps. He has a keen interest in fitness and sports.
- University of Adelaide
- Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery, University of Adelaide (2004)
- Fellowship Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (2013)
- Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency
- Environmental Protection Agency – Fluoroscan Qualified
- Minimally Invasive Total Hip Replacement Surgery
- Patient Matched Technology for Total Knee Replacement Surgery
- Sporting Injury management using Arthroscopy of Hip, Knee & Shoulder
- Orthopaedic Trauma
- Australian Orthopaedic Association
- Australian Medical Association
- TEGO Australia
- Royal Australian College of Surgeons
- AO Trauma Membership
- Club Des Amis
- Visiting Medical Specialist Royal Adelaide Hospital
- Orthopaedics 360 – Norwood
- Health @ Hindmarsh – Hindmarsh
- Nuriootpa Medical Centre – Barossa Valley
- Southern Specialist Centre – Morphett Vale
- Burnside Hospital
- St Andrews Hospital